Getting a list of groups a user belongs to

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM
Edited Aug 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I would like to customize my MDT boot wizard based on what group a user is in. I have installed the AD web service but the only functions that deal with groups is GetGroupMembers & GetGroupMemberNames. Is there any way to get a list of groups a user is in based the on credentials they give during the MDT boot Wizard?

Coordinator
Aug 25, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Beta 5 of the upcoming Release 7.3 has just been uploaded. It contains the additional AD related functions:

- GetComputerGroups / GetComputerGroupsByName / IsComputerGroupMember

- GetUserGroups / GetUserGroupsByName / IsUserGroupMember

that should cover the scenario you are trying to achieve. Would be great if you could give it a try.

Regards

Maik

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Nice!, just downloaded the beta and tried it out. Looks like it works (only tested the ad.asmx) and IsUserGroupMember will be real useful for me.

I did noticed that if you use "IsUserGroupMember" with a group that has a group you are in as a member it will show false.

I.E. : IT-MDT group has a list of members, one of those is IT-admin group which I am a member of. If i do IsUserGroupMember with my user name on the group IT-MDT it will say false

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Good catch. Currently it's really just direct membership and not recursive. Need to add some extra logic for this. So thanks for the hint.

Regards

Maik