Webservice SCCM/MDT2010

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:04 AM

I started out reading your posts in regards to creating a dynamic front end for SCCM - prefect! exactly what I wished for.. wish MS thought of something abit better.

Anyways on my journeys to create this dynamic front end, I saw I required the webservice. Now Im not a good when it comes to SQL or IIS but I thought id give it a shot.

Created front end.. sweet, now the back end webservice. I followed through your instructions (server 2k3 II6) and seem to have a connection. (Oh btw typo in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll) its missing the ' _ ' :) so on the users pc, it displays the interface 'Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request.' - when I try the server end I get :

Invalid object name 'dbo.ComputerIdentity'.

Looking at the SCCM/MDT database.. I do not see this object. Im not sure where this is actually called from?

Great work guys, keep it up!

Jared

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Hi Jared,

thanks for trying out the webservice and finding a typo ;-)

The ComputerIdentity object is a table which stores the computer objects in MDT themselves. So it's an original table from the MDT Database. Did you create the database using the workbench? Are you pointing to the correct MDT Database (not SCCM). This webservice is just extending an existing database so it needs to be created before and point to the right one.

Regards

Maik

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Thanks for the reply Maik,

Your correct. My main focus is actually around SCCM, therefore when I added MDT I only added in the integration into SCCM rather than configure via the workbench.

Im not sure what would be my next step  .. configure MDT and create task sequences and applications within the workbench? if so does this mean I would have duplicate deployments as now MDT and SCCM is configured.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2009 at 7:30 PM

To make use of the MDT Database, you don't need to redo the Task Sequences, Applications, Drivers, etc. You simply need to create a DeploymentShare using the Workbench so that you can create the Database. (You can also execute the appropiate sql script by hand but the easiest and fastest way is to use the workbench). Then you need to add the sections, querying the database to your CustomSettings.ini. And if you are using SCCM this one is within the Settings Package you have probably created during the creation of your Task Sequence within SCCM.

I would suggest you start using the Quick Start Guides from the MDT Documentation. They will guide you through the process of setting up a working MDT Deployment solution integrated into SCCM. Then you can start adding more stuff into it by customizing the Rules, making use of the database, query webservices etc. You might want to have a look on this Blog http://blogs.technet.com/benhunter/archive/2007/03/17/understanding-bdd-rule-processing.aspx from Ben Hunter about Rule processing. It is about BDD but most of it still applies. Or just have a look through some of my Blog posts (http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/maikkoster/). They typically guide you step by step through a specific topic.