Webservice and multiple AD Sites

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM

i'm wondering if you would have any ideas to help me out. I am currently using this webservice in conjunction with SCCM OSD to move the computer to a certain OU (if the computer account exists) as well as write a description on the computer account in AD. It works great at the main site where the webservice is hosted, the problem i am having is when i install from a BDP. The install works great if the computer already exists in AD, but if the the compute account does not exists here is what happens. SCCM creates the computer account on the local domain controller (remotesite1), when it is time for the webservice to write the description it is hosted on the main AD site (mainsite1) so it tries to find the account to write the description on, since the domain controllers haven't replicated it errors out cause it can't find the account. Obviously i could but the webservice on every domain controller, but since i have 15 sites i really dont want to do that. So i need to find a what that i can tell the webservice to talk to a certain domain controller when trying to write a description. Anyone have any tips or ideas???

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Interesting that this happens. The webservice has some logic already built-in to handle this situation. Moving Computers and also setting the Description should happen on the local Domain Controller. To identify the local AD Site it will take the IP Address of the requesting computer and try to map this to a  configured subnet. If it found a valid subnet and site, it will take any of the DCs for that site, connect to it and apply the changes on that DC.

You might want to enable the Tracing option for some better Troubleshooting. Please see http://mdtcustomizations.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Webservice%20Troubleshooting&referringTitle=Documentation for more information. Just be sure to disable it after you found the issue as it will create a lot of information ;-)

Regards

Maik