Additional SCCM feature calls request

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:32 AM

I would like to be able to give the user, under certain circumstances the ability to pick a different collection and associated task sequence when the computer is known and the computer belongs to a deployment group. Perhaps something like holding down the shift key will bring up the wizard even if the computer is known and assigned to a particular OSD Collection already.

In some cases, I might be redeploying a machine and would like OSD to treat the computer as if it were unknown.  For that to work, there would need to be either a way to delete the computer from a particular configmgr collection(s) or delete the object from SCCM entirely.

Maybe I chose the incorrect task sequence from the list and I want to reboot an chose the correct on.  At the moment, I have to open the SCCM console and delete the machine from the OSD target collection.  It would be nice if the pre execution hook routine could take care of that, but the ability to delete objects from collections or from the configmgr database entirely is missing.

Could you, in the next version, add a function to the service that can remove the client from a specified configmgr collection and/or one to delete a computer object from SCCM?

This could also be useful in the case where you may want to remove a client from the deployment target collection once the task sequence is complete.  Calling the web service to do this would be very convenient.

Thanks for sharing your code.  It has saved me a ton of time coding and frustration.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:20 AM

That sounds like an interesting and very helpful feature. Especially the option to influence the default behaviour by pressing a specific key. Never thought about this before but thinking about it now seems that it should have been implemented long time ago ;-)

Removing a client from a collection and also from SCCM completely is on my "wishlist" for the next SCCM update and will be one of the next things I'm tackling after the Web FrontEnd has been published to it's first Release.

Really appreciate your comment.

Maik

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Thanks Maik.

I have run into one more AD service that would be valuable,  In addition to DoesComputerExist, it would be benificial for me to be able to find out , if the computer does exist, what OU the computer is in presently.

In my current setup, I offer to put the computer in the "Managed," "Ligtly Managed" or "Pre-Created" OUs.  If the user selects "Pre-Created" I capture the computer object's current OU and store it in a "FinalOU" OSD variable.  Then the OSD Process moves the computer account to the "Deployment" OU for existing objects.  The OSD is set for DomainJoin to also go into "Deployment" OU for new comptuer objects too.  Then,  at the end of the OSD, the computer is moved to the vlaue stored in "FinalOU"  For this to work, I need a web service so that I can capture the computer objects current OU to store in that FinalOU variable.

Do you think it would be possible for you to add a service that returns the OU the Computer Object is found in in AD given ComputerName as an argument?

I am hopeful you will release some source code examples at some point.  I think I could add this stuff myself - I already have the VBScripts using ADO/ADSI queries and commands to do it, but I just don't understand how to convert that into a web service.  I think if I had an example, I'd be able to do it.  I've read through your HelloWorld posts, but I am missing the last piece of the puzzle.  I think I need a "Create your own MDT Webservice - Part 3." that shows a pratical example. :)

Todd

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Added a function "GetComputerParentPath" to the AD webservice in Version 7.0 That should do what you requested. See http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/maikkoster/archive/2010/04/17/deployment-webservice-version-7-published.aspx for details.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:33 AM

i just saw this discussion. I know the current version of the web service is 7.3. Has the functionality of a key being pressed to control the wizard been added? Or an equivalent function?