GetComputerNameByNetbootGuid

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Hi

GetComputerNameByNetbootGuid sets the OSDComputerName to the right name if found in AD and blank if not found. Is it possible to set it to another value if not found?

I tried:

[Settings]
Priority=Default,GetComputerNameByNetbootGuid

[Default]
OSInstall=Y
OSDComputerName=PC-%SERIALNUMBER%

[GetComputerNameByNetbootGuid]
WebService=http://sds-dist-03/DeploymentWebservice/ad.asmx/GetComputerNameByNetbootGuid
Parameters=UUID
UUID=netbootGUID
OSDComputerName=string

But then it was never set.

Thanks,
-Håvard

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:51 AM

Hi Håvard,

two problems.

First, the GetComputerNameByNetbootGUID has a bug. I have a patch available and will publish an update to the webservice as soon as possible (latest next week). With this update there will also be some new functions for the SCCM Webservice that are being tested currently. So that's causing this delay.

Second, in your priority you have the "Default" section before you call the GetComputerNameByNetBootGUID section. And the Default sections already sets the OSDComputerName with a value of "PC-%SerialNumber%". But as most properties in MDT OSDComputerName will only take the first value. So no matter what the second section returns, it will always default ODSComputerName to what you have specified in that section. The OSDComputerName is set already, so the Webservice call has no chance to update the value. If you switch the order, you would achieve what you want. It would first query AD for the ComputerName based on the NetbootGUID and if it finds one, set it to the Name found in AD. If not, it will default the value to whatever you specify in the Default section.

Regards

Maik

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM
Hello, will the bugfix to the GetComputerNameByNetbootGUID be release soon? Regards Marcus
Apr 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Yes, I plan to release it during the week. Just still implementing a couple other changes.

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Finally it's done.

See http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/maikkoster/archive/2010/04/17/deployment-webservice-version-7-published.aspx for details.