Do I need SCCM?

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Tool I am looking for - but can I run it with just WDS/MDT wihout SCCM?

Coordinator
Apr 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM

If you refer to the Deployment webservice, yes, you can use it without SCCM. The download contains three files that offer different webservice functions. These are:

* AD.asmx for all Active Directory related functions
* MDT.asmx  for all MDT related functions
* SCCM.asmx for all SCCM related functions.

Feel free to use only the ones required for you scenario.

Regards

Maik

Apr 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Maik,

I have got the Deployment Webservices up and running with AD/MDT.asmx files and now I would like to adopt PrettyGoodFrontEndClone with MDT only. I followed the instructions but I am not sure where no additional wizard appers after starting whole process from LTITouch (despite having SQL querries and result in log file). But to be honest I am not sure if I am doing it as I should..

Is it possible at all?

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2010 at 3:01 PM

The PrettyGoodFrontEndClone has been written as a demo frontend for SCCM Deployments as they typically lack such things. MDT and SCCM OSD behave slightly different, so in SCCM the frontend is meant to pop up before the actual Task Sequence starts and be able to choose a Task Sequence plus define some other stuff that is then written back to the MDT Database.

In MDT Litetouch you have already a built-in wizard that allows you to select the TaskSequence, ComputerName, etc..  On default this default wizard should pop up as soon as you run the Litetouch.wsf from the Deploymentshare or boot from PXE/CD

Actually possible is almost anything, it's just a matter on how much time you need to invest to get it working. ;-) Maybe I should have asked first, what you are actually trying to achieve? If you have just set up MDT I would like to suggest spending an hour or two on some great Video tutorials and step-by-step guides from Johan Arwidmark (http://www.deploymentcd.com/). They will give you a good idea on what MDT can do out of the box and what needs to be done to get it to that state. Then it might be easier to define, what additional requirements you have and I might be able to better help you on how to achieve that.

Regards

Maik

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Hi Maik,

I will definitely have a look at those CDs - thanks.

I do have MDT/WDS and I am OK with LTI method. What I am trying to do is to install different software on machines without the pain of selecting them one by one.

Ideally I would like to have a few roles created (General Software, Developers, Finance, Sales, etc. and each of them would have some applications assigned to them: General Software - App1, App2; Developers - App3, App4; Finance - App5 and so on). I would like to have an option to select the Roles (installed software) during Deployment Wizard. As far as I know this is not possible in default LTI method but I do feel that PrettyGoodFrontEndClone would solve the issue here (multiple role selection).

So my test lab contains AD/MDT/WDS/MDT database + Windows 7 image. I do have Deployment Webservices running that can query both AD and MDT database (I can display roles for example). What I would like to do now is to add PrettyGoodFrontEndClone wizard (or at least multiple role selection) to standard LTI so I can choose which role from MDT should be assigned (other words which application should be installed without the need of manually selecting requested software). I hope that it does make sense.

Thank you for your assistance,
Tomasz