Any chance that source code will be made available?

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Heya, been reading a lot about this project and it looks great. I would love to implement it but the company is reluctant to put something like this in place unless they have access to the source code just in case the project stops getting updated and it needs tweaks to work moving forward.

I'd like to try integrating this functionality into what you already have in place to eliminate the need for two web services:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2009/12/06/ris-style-naming-with-mdt-2010-use-a-web-service.aspx

Keep up the good work!

Coordinator
Mar 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Interesting that you asked for that feature, as I've included it into the next version of the web service a few days ago. Will publish a beta shortly after MMS 2011. So stay tuned, it will be available soon.

Regarding the source code, I have no final answer for you as I'm still fighting with myself ;-) But I would guess that there is a a quite high percentage of software that isn't open source in most companies and chances on getting certain features implemented aren't necessarily higher if you paid for the software.

Regards

Maik

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Appreciate the response. I will work on talking them into it (especially if you have already added the functionality I was going to add) :)

I understand on the source code, I program myself and fight with that all of the time... My client just likes to have contracts for software wherever possible (or have access to the code).

Are you thinking about making this a commercial product? For this company, that would actually possibly be a plus... Or, I guess if you decided to stop updating it, would the source code be made available then? If you haven't decided on any of that stuff, that is a perfectly fine response...just looking for ammo to convince them this is ok to use!

I'll probably move forward with a dual-web service setup for now but I look forward to the beta of the new version.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I just figured I would share what I have thrown together in the past week or so. If anything is useful, please steal it. :) It is my first go at ASP.NET programming and it is still in 'test mode' so it may be a bit sloppy.

http://www.smsutils.com/index.php/public-content/10-public-content/50-using-mdt-web-services

I think I am handling the creation of the XMLDocument data that is returned differently that you are so you might look at that.  I am using .NET4 though so I am not sure if all of the methods I am using are available under .NET2.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Hi,

My company is very interested in implementing your web services around SCCM 2007.
But we would like to be sure that this solution will be maintened in the future.

There is for me two possibilities.

1. Get the source code to maintain it internally. Could you provide an offer for the source code ?
  2. Establish a contract with you to maintain this solution. Are you able to do provide this service ?

PS : We would like to implement this solution quickly.

Best regards,
François GILLET
Boehringer Ingelheim

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Any update on releasing source / allowing upstream contributions?