Multiple SCCM Servers in hierarchie, multiple Web Services?

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Hi,

we want to use your excellent webservice for our deployment. We already made some tests and deployed some machines with your webservice in our ConfigMgr central site.
Everything works great.

We have 13 Primary Sites below the central sites and about 40 PDPs hanging below the Central Site and the Primary Sites.
Do we need a Web Service on each Primary site if we want to use functions like RemoveFromCollection and ClearLastPXEBoot or is one WebService on the Central Site enough?

Regards,
Tobi

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Just need to point the web service to your central. All Web service calls take the sitecode as parameter and it will automatically connect to the appropriate primary.

Any collection related tasks (adding, removing, ...) have to happen at the site they have been created on. On clearing pxe I would also do that on the assigned site primary. This avoids timing/replication issues if the computer account has just been created etc.

Regards

Maik

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM

We have the latest 7.2 web service up and running, however I am not seeing all the SCCM methods having the sitecode parameter?  Some do, but most still do not.  For example, the AddComputer has the SiteCode, but the AddComputerToCollectionByID only has ResourceID, CollectionID and ComputerName as parameters with no SiteCode.  All the methods appear to be working correctly and I do not see any errors in the logs.  Is there a newer version of the WebSerivce somewhere or do I have something configured incorrectly? 

Thanks,

Brent

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM

We have the latest 7.2 web service up and running, however I am not seeing all the SCCM methods having the sitecode parameter?  Some do, but most still do not.  For example, the AddComputer has the SiteCode, but the AddComputerToCollectionByID only has ResourceID, CollectionID and ComputerName as parameters with no SiteCode.  All the methods appear to be working correctly and I do not see any errors in the logs.  Is there a newer version of the WebSerivce somewhere or do I have something configured incorrectly? 

Thanks,

Brent

Coordinator
Apr 11, 2011 at 4:51 PM

On some functions, it's not really necessary to take the site code as a parameter. e.g. Adding/Removing computers to/from collection does only work on the site server they have been created on. In this case I simply extract the proper sitecode from the collectionID.

Regards

Maik

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM

That makes sense.  I never thought to actually try it, just assumed I had the wrong version of wrong setting somewhere.  Thanks for the clarification and appreciate the work.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I have a question related to this.  And let me say thank you for the wonderful code you've provided.

When I use the AddComputer web method, if I provide anything other then the central site it fails.  If I use the UI with the exact same account I can import a computer in that primary site.  So I know it's not permissions related.  This happens in three different environments that I've tested this on.  Seems to be this only works on the central site.  But I need to create the computer object in the child site so that I can create a computer association in that site.

Any help is greatly appreciated.