Webservice and SCCM

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Hi

I have just started playin' with the Webservice and integration with SCCM.

My Lab setup:

Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6

MDT 2010

SCCM 2007 SP2 (Beta)

Everything is working almost perfect.

I can access (and write to) the MDT database, so that part is working.

But when I was trying to get something from SCCM, I ran into trouble. (f.ex. "GetTaskSequences").

There wasn't any TaskSequences listed.

After playing  around for a while, I tried to change "DefaultAppPool" - "Identity" from "Network Service" to "Local System".

And then everything works perfect. So obviously something with permissions.

But should'nt it work with "Network Service" ... ??

I tried to look in the "WMI Service" -> "SMS" - "Security" but that did'nt solve anything.

So obviously I'm missing something somewhere... ;-)

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Sorry...

Forgot the last part.... :-)

I have enabled "debugging" in "Web.config" and end up with this result in the log:

"GetSCCMTaskSequences: Looking for TaskSequences using query string = SELECT * FROM SMS_TaskSequencePackage"

 

  

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Hi,

the webservice is calling SCCM using WMI. For authentication it is using the account/identity configured for the application your webservice is running within. The "Network Service" doesn't necessarily has appropiate permission to query anything from SCCM. I suggest to use an explizit User/Service Account for this. I recommend the same for access to the MDT Database. So create a new account (or use an existing one) and give it appropiate permission within SCCM to query the required information. Then configure the application to use this account and try the webservice again. You might want to enable Tracing .

 

Regards

Maik