Rules for Webservice

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Hi Maik,

On my production configuration, I have one Central and two primary SCCM servers. Currently, I am using Windows 2008 r2 and SCCM sp1 R2 with unknown computer support with the pxe filter. So I have the pxe support role, and WDS on the primaries. On the Central site is the Boot disks, MDT Files (scripts), task sequences, drivers and collections. This works ok for now, but I need to select a computer name and task sequence and a few more customisations at boot time, so I have been trialing in the lab your webservice v6 and custom boot v3 which gives me most of what I need to do. My lab consists of just one SCCM server so I have everything on it. 

Now that I want to implement this on my production systems, do I need to remove the collections, TS, Boot disks and MDT packages from the central server and recreate the collections, TS, Boot disks, MDT packages, Drivers on my Primaries instead or can I say leave the MDT packages and Drivers on the central site and then reference them from within the TS on the primary site?

At the moment I have deleted the custom boot images from the central site and I'm trying to recreate them on the primary site, but near the end of the process I get a message "Error while importing Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Task Sequence. Details: The configmgr provider reported an error". When I look at smsprov.log it says the boot image has been created successfully. However, due to this error they do not appear in the console and only the boot.wim appears in the boot folder.

So since I have this error, I have decided to start again, but just need you to confirm the above.

Thanks.

 

 

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2010 at 6:30 AM

Hi,

I personally would create the Packages, Drivers and TaskSequences on the Central. On the primaries, I would create one collection as container for all OSD Collections. Then create a collection per TaskSequence you would like to use and advertise the Task Sequences to the appropriate collection. The Task Sequences will still be able to use all the Drivers, Packages, etc, assuming the content it available for the client.

Now you could use the bits from the custom boot wizard. It will first try to get the assigned site code and then get a list of all collections with an osd advertisement and site code.

Regarding the error, you need to install and integrate MDT an all sccm servers where you would like to create the mdt packages, Task Sequences and Boot images. That's also another reason why I prefer to do anything on the central and just use the Primaries for further distribution.

 

Regards

Maik

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Thanks Maik.

I removed the original boot images from the central site. Then uninstalled the wds and psp from my primaries, rebooted and then re-installed wds and psp. Now I can create the custom boot images with the media hook on my primary site.

I think the error is due to previous boot images being held in temp folders on the primary.

Thanks for the info.

 

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Hi

I am trying to use the webservice with custom boot disks in production, but I get the message in the boot wizard that "No Task Sequence Advertisement can be found".

If I try displaying the GetOSDCollections in a web browser using the same account as I am using in the web.config then this shows all the OSD collections for this site (all other web functions also work through the web browser, so the permissions look ok). I get information in the mytrace log file when trying this from the browser, but nothing appears if I try this from the boot disks.

I am wondering if this is due to a misconfigured web.config file. The settings  below have the settings for the Central Site for Root server, SLP and Site Code. I don't think I need this, but I have also added the connection settings to the database  for the Primary site.

This all worked using a single sccm server in the lab once I could access all the web queries from a web browser, but it seems more troublesome now in the live enviromnent where I have a central and primary site. 

<configuration>

  <configSections>
    <sectionGroup name="applicationSettings" type="System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
      <section name="Koster.MDT.My.MySettings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
    </sectionGroup>
  </configSections>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="RootServer" value="<Central Site Server>"/>
    <add key="SLPServer" value="<Central Site Server"/>
    <add key="RootSiteCode" value="<Central Site Code>"/>
    <add key="ADDomain" value="DC=Contoso,DC=Com"/>
    <add key="ADUsername" value="contosso\CM_NAA"/>
    <add key="ADPassword" value="Password1"/>
    <add key="MDTDBServer" value="YourMDTServer"/>
    <add key="MDTDBName" value="YourMDTDBName"/>
    <add key="MDTDBIntegratedSecurity" value="False"/>
    <add key="MDTDBUser" value="YourMDTDBAdminAccount"/>
    <add key="MDTDBPassword" value="YourMDTDBAdminAccountPw"/>
  </appSettings>

  <connectionStrings>
       <add connectionString="Server=<Primary site server>;Database=SMS_CMH;User ID=Contoso\CM_NAA;Password=Password1" name="SCCM" />

  </connectionStrings>